Monday, April 3, 2017

Dismal (NaPoWriMo 3)

Deep forest green are the trees,
their backdrop the gray
Jeju skies of winter,
we fly
down a mountain road, it
reminds me of that time
I broke through
the clouds
sleeping over the island,
but I could still see
Mt. Halla,
"jejune" sounds like
Jeju, and it echoes my past 
of naive happiness 
as if I were screaming
into a canyon,
but instead of returning
my voice just keeps travelling
on and on and lost forever,
a song repeats
in my head, it tastes
like cigarette smoke,
car exhaust, and
fried red bean bread,
steaming warm
in my gloved hands,
bought in a grimy subway station
in old Seoul,
the young man
who is singing, he knows
the dreary days I
keep seeing, he feels
this lukewarm winter,
loneliness
painting the landscape
a dull pallet 
of breathtaking wonders 
gone cold, and 
old joys made
lifeless. 


I wrote this about winter in Jeju, and the depressed feelings I experienced during my winter here. One of the things that made me feel better during that time was Kim Namjoon's mixtape, as I felt like he understood what I was going through. I wanted to capture that experience for a long time, but I couldn't really write until I started feeling better. 

No comments: