Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A Picture Paints 1000 Words

I heard the statement over and over during those early years when I truly began working hard at drawing and just wanted to spend a little time to contemplate the meaning of this phrase.

 Sure, sometimes it's easier for me, being both a writer AND an artist, to draw rather than write. The picture is right there, in my head, and I put it onto paper, giving all the necessary elements to the picture to cause others to react to the drawing and understand the drawing the way I intended.
 But I've heard a lot of writers say that putting a thousand words into a picture isn't possible. I am also a writer, so I can understand this stance, too.

 I guess it isn't possible. I don't know. Maybe five hundred words, but not one thousand. Having done NaNoWriMo, I've written one thousand words a day plenty enough to know it can be remarkably hard. I think that you can communicate a lot through a drawing...and it can be pretty intense to be the one drawing the picture.

 When I drew my most recent picture-A centre-split portrait of Harry Osborne/Green Goblin, holding The Green in his hand, I was VERY wrapped up in the picture. All of Harry's feelings, and his addiction to the drug, were running through my mind, and I really loved doing it. I don't know if I painted 1000 words...but it sure felt like it!!!!


~A.K.~

No comments: