Wednesday, July 17, 2013

There Lives a Daughter (Poem+a few thoughts)

Your face, round and white
Puffy red cheeks and rosebud lips
Scraggly golden hair soaked in sweat
Pasted to your tiny head

Your little hands and feet
Your bright pink summer dress
Your button nose, your small ears
Those brilliant, sharp blue eyes

Eyes that are filled with tears
Your love is so strangely placed
Eyes that are filled with expectancy
Your heart is so mysteriously decided

Questions, loud and terrible, fill my head
When that baby voice cries out
When those eyes search frantically
When those rosy lips form kisses

You've been dealt a bad deck from day one
The troubles will continue to multiply
Bad things will no longer just be hiding faces
Or missing precious names of affection

And no one cares like they claim to
And their hearts are all shut up inside
You? Who knows about you
You, who is already so hopeless.

 Little angel, they called you, beautiful, precious little angel. Yet they refuse to accept the existence of angels.





 Not so great of a day today. Poor baby. I just...didn't even know what to do or say. I felt like my brain was the size of a pea and yet as big as a hot air balloon and all of these images just flooded through my mind when I saw her. It hurts to see kids like this. Kids who haven't yet realized their parents have nothing together and don't even care. It doesn't matter the family or class status or child. They realize it at some point and it's crushing for them. Then some of them go and start the cycle all over again.

It's all too much for my black and white ideology some days. Sometimes I even begin to doubt and think that maybe, if so many people are like this, that my sense of justice is flawed. Then I realize that I gather my  sense of justice from God. His law is truth and He is a lot better at making laws than mere man. We are so selfish, deep inside, and so many live in denial of that. So many of us think we're fine because, well, everyone is like this and at least we're not bad people, right? Wrong.
The best thing a parent could ever do for their child is raise them to know our wise God and His perfect law.

-Argentia

No comments: