Saturday, September 14, 2013

In Which I Retract (some of) My Previous Statements...

...about boyfriends in college.

At least when you have days like today. You know, those times you just want to have a (proven trustworthy, of course) guy walk up to you and be like this-
"Back off, you creepy losers, she's mine!"
I mean, albeit I'm not as dumb as Tohru (girl in the picture), I still manage to blindly walk into conversations with people that find me attractive.
My situation today was simple: the last day of a two-day class that I was doing for a single credit. A nursing student, who just happened to have "died" twice before and liked history, wanted to tell me all about it. For fear of being rude, I waited around and talked to him, but what I thought would maybe be 30 minutes of chatting became two hours of intense discussion, debate, and then him trying to flirt with me! Seriously! I walked into this expecting to get a deep and fascinating conversation, which I appreciated, but he just had to express his interest in me while we talked. The worst part? I think he was just playing with my mind, which messes me up even more. I hate the feeling that an intuitive is picking my brain-even if they are doing it, I don't like it when they make it obvious that they know what I'm feeling and thinking.
Example-
Him: You've made it 2 yards from the classroom door and you just keep backing away from me! *chuckes* You are SO uncomfortable.
Me: I'm always like this...
Him: I know. I've watched you.

Me: *INTERNAL RED LIGHTS CREEPY STALKER WATCHING ME GUY THINKS HE KNOWS ME ALREADY CRAZY RUN*

Let me say I am not trying to gang up on intuitives here, because you folks are amazing and I appreciate you a lot. I just hate it when I meet the kind of people that like to rub their abilities in my face and/or use them to scare the heck out of me. Which, if he was soooo good at figuring me out, he should have been able to realize I was nervous and wary of him and respected that. I really appreciate that in a guy, even a guy that is interested in me-respect and understanding!
Furthermore, I know I'm interested in psychology-I do watch people and I try to figure out what they are thinking and their motives for doing things. However, I don't do it to pick anyone's brain, and if you tell me to back off, I will! I only do it because I love seeing how interesting and diverse people are, and I want to understand them. I'm not trying to attack you. Please don't feel that way.
Anyway, we did have a constructive conversation. We talked about race ("your Indian blood definitely explains those deep, dark amber brown eyes of yours, which are very pretty by the way"), we talked about history (he loves Woodrow Wilson's administration), and politics and economics (he's a Leftist Progressive). We talked about the end of the world (he believes it's a machine that will stop working), we talked about religion (he's an Atheist), and then we talked about mental disorders and psychology (he has some interesting stories, refused to tell me his type beyond 'E'). Remind me to stay away from that topic with people in the future. They either jump on it and start trying to pick my brain apart or they run from me like I'm chasing them with fire.

In the end, after numerous 'honey's and 'sweetie's and 'you're adorable's, and comments that my inability to speak English (aka, picking up a slight Korean accent when saying the words 'really' and 'actually') is 'cute', I felt uncomfortable. Maybe you, reader, would not feel uncomfortable. But I felt very out of my element and lost, and I did not like the way he was talking to me. So I told him to stop flirting. Cue the smooth-talking excuse that he isn't flirting but wouldn't mind me entertaining the idea. I made some casual remark about how I would shoot him if he flirted with me (it was in a humorous way, laced with just enough venom, I promise), and he replied "as if I wouldn't find that attractive". Since at that point a lot of my questions were getting quite a lot of rhetorical answers, I asked him the vague and open-ended, "what if I have a boyfriend?"

To which he answered: "You think that if you had one, that would change anything even if there were something to change? I don't care about that."

You know. It's that moment when you want to say, "well, Don Juan, I'd like to hear you say that when my boyfriend breaks your nose."

But alas, such violence could put my invisible boyfriend in jail, and of course, there is the reality that he IS invisible, so I just humored the idea of me busting his face and came up with a good excuse to leave.

So this, my friends, is one of the reasons I sometimes wish either I had a flesh and blood boyfriend, who with grace, respect, and sweetness, treats me nicely and tells everyone else to back off. Or, of course, there's the option of my books growing arms or me putting a flashing red sign over my head that says 'married to college/don't even bother'. Yeah. I'm not sure which one is more likely, or easiest to maintain, but, you know...it got me thinking. :P

-Argentia


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I KNOW THIS FEELING.
*hugs you*
Although you have to admit.
This is pretty hilarious in retrospect. XD

Argentia Krystofel said...

*hugs back*
IT'S A WEIRD FEELING.

Yes, in retrospect it is priceless. Not even Christopher has pity on me...he just laughs at things like this. Even oppa laughs at these things...and I sit there with this face-(T.T) while oppa chuckles with delight. :P Then later I see how humorous it actually was and I have to laugh too. XD

-Argentia