Saturday, June 28, 2014

Sweethearts

I can hear their sweet, low tones before I see their faces. I halt my descent on the first floor and peek through the window.
She shuffles her feet, she laughs at him, her arms resting comfortably on his waist, hands clasped against his back. He keeps making her laugh; a comfortable, warm sound. They sway from side to side in the darkness in a silent slow dance under the streetlights, and I slip into the corner, just in case they might see me watching.
He says something to her; his tone endearing, his voice deep. She tosses her head back, honey-brown hair flying, and giggles again. She abruptly pulls him into an embrace, wrapping her arms around his back and resting her head on his shoulder. They quiet as she draws away, and she smiles with joy; her eyes alone show how much she loves him. The summer breeze plays with her hair, bringing with it the sweet smell of flowers and rain. He takes her hands in his and pulls them towards his waist once more, and in that one swift motion of deceit, leans forward and kisses her.
For a short moment, they are both frozen in time, lost in the magic, lost in each other. Then he drifts away, like a sailor reluctantly leaving his lover upon the shore. She smiles again, and laughs, a little shy, a little too happy to show it.
I return to my errand, their laughter fading behind me.


Again I was reminded how cute couples are here. These two were particularly endearing. I shouldn't have spied on them, I know. Seeing so many sweet couples, you start to realize how much you wish you had that special someone.

-Argentia

No comments: