Friday, January 23, 2009

Thursday Writing Project

First, I'd like to give a little update or something.
The song on my playlist for this week was Neunundneunzig Luftballons. (99 Luftballons)
My mom has an excellent post about this song on her blog, you should check it out.

My mom also asked me to post about the Cherokee Indians. I will be writing about the Trail of Tears and other things about the Cherokee. The Trail of Tears was our history project this week. I intend to make a habit out of this, so here goes.

In 1830 the Indian Removal act was passed by Congress. It required all Indian tribes to move West.
The Cherokee Indians were among these tribes. They were located in Northern Georgia and the Carolinas at the time. One of the reason's that the Cherokee were told to leave was because gold had been discovered on their land, and many people wanted to own that land.
At first, the Cherokees refused to leave their land, even after being offered 5.7 million dollars to leave.
After that, they were forced to move to the Oklahoma territories. This took months of hard travel, and was very difficult. Just to prove that fact, out of the 18,000 people who began, over 4,000 died.
That is why this part of history is called 'Trail of Tears' or in Cherokee: Nunna Daul Tsunny (The Trail Where They Cried) by the Cherokee people.

Some other interesting facts about the Cherokee Indians-
The Cherokee Nation Capital is in Tahlequah, Oklahoma, and many Cherokee live there.

Many Cherokee are now Christians, mainly Southern Baptist and Methodist, some are Traditional Ah-ni-yv-wi-ya ( a kind of religion that my mom and I could NOT figure out, the article on Wiki was SUPER confusing), and many others belong to small Christian groups.

The Cherokee are known as one of the Five Civilized Tribes (Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Creek and Seminole). This was mostly because they adopted some of the colonists' customs and had generally good relations with their neighbors.

I am 1/10 Cherokee Indian!!!(I know, not much, but it is some!)

(THE END)

My sources- My History program, Veritas Press, and Wikipedia.
Thanks to-The Cherokee, of course!:) My dad, for assigning this lesson, and my mom, for asking me to do this post!

On another note, I will be posting more of my story tomorrow evening!

-Autumn

3 comments:

Eruaphadion said...

*Drools in anticipation of the story.*

I think I'm 1/8th Cherokee.

Rebecca said...

Hi Autumn,
I believe that we met last year at the conference and the year before that at your church.
Anyway I thought that since I have been reading your blog I should leave a comment. I have read what parts of your story you have posted and I have so far enjoyed it, I think you have done a very good job, I know that thinking all that up can be very hard, I tried once and failed.

I guess almost all of us have some Cherokee, my great great (possibly another great) grandmother was a full Cherokee, but I have not yet taken the time to study their section in history so I found your post very interesting.

I am looking forward to the next part of your story. Have a great day.

Rebecca Marie

P.S Sorry that this turned into such a long rambling comment.

Argentia Krystofel said...

Fox-I'll hurry up on revising it!!!

Rebecca-Thanks for commenting! Yes, we might have met.
Thank you for the compliment, as I said, I'll have more of my story on here this evening. (Well, probably not evening for you...more like 3:00...:)).

-Autumn