Friday, October 12, 2012

Enchanting meets Steadfast

My main characters in The Summer Colors of You (a very random unrelated title-because this is a drama-style romance!), are confusing to me. It's a story about Enchanting meets Careful Quiet, and it should be working out that way. But Enchanting has this maddening habit to wander away from his Careful Quiet in search of something more stable and perhaps, just perhaps, more exotic-Steadfast.

At the very beginning moment of the story's creation, I intended for Victor Park to be female. Or I intended for there to be two Victor Parks. An arrogant, anti-social, self-confident, intelligently geeky and artistic one, and a strong, reliable, duty-led history major who rooms with Mina and wants to be a lawyer one.
It was a darn good idea until I realized that Mina's love interest was slowly working himself into a complex, emotional, social butterfly who bursts with drama at every moment, and his brother was slowly working himself into a self-confident, independent, and slightly bossy eccentric genius hallyu star who practically glitters with an aura no one can quite escape nor understand...And my characters were all going to fall in love with the wrong people!

So I changed Victor into a male (this sounds awful) and sent Kibum back to Korea, and the world became a beautiful place again. No one could fall in love with anyone they weren't supposed to (because I don't write LGBT fiction -_-), and we could solve all of our problems-Mr. Enchanting would never wander because there would be no Miss Steadfast to wander to, and Careful Quiet would never become blindly infatuated with Mr. Sparkly Eccentric Genius.

I feel a little bad about it, though. Victor and JinKi didn't like eachother at first. Victor wasn't being just who I wanted him to be and so it was difficult for them. Then he started to smooth out and JinKi started to not mind him so much, and before I knew it, they started this bromance.
Yes.
A bromance.
I'm a bit shocked because for the longest time I thought JinKi would stay to himself, but Victor started a bromance, Kibum starts to show his caring side and begins taking care of JinKi, and ChunHee practically adopts our clumsy hero as his role model.

Victor especially bothers me because I (still) feel like Mina and JinKi weren't the perfect match. I could've started two romances if I'd made Vic a girl. >.< Kibum/Mina or ChunHee/Mina would be perfect for eachother, I just know it, but I suppose that's a romance for you. Leave it to the writer to make things difficult for herself. ^^


-Argentia






No comments: