Friday, January 4, 2013

Closed in the cruel cold morning
The petals are shut tight in the early hours
The sun hasn't appeared yet
To warm you out of your darkness

When you were just a seed in the ground
Waiting to be strong enough to plunge through the earth
And stretch upwards for the blue sky
You slept, dreamt, and gathered hope and expectations

I know your face must be beautiful
Painted with colors by the hand of God
You have grown tall, though crooked
And your leaves reach for the sun

You're an ambitious little flower
And I watch you now with sadness
You've closed yourself
Hidden away in some irrational fear

Did you forget Who made you?
That you cannot rely on yourself
As the sun wakes you every morning
The Son woke you from death

And every time it looked like you might wilt away
Or you wished the sun to never rise
Yourself to freeze in the black night
He took your hand and led you out of dispair

I touch a frosty leaf, and my fingertip tingles
I can see the first rays of the sun
Peaking over the rooftops and filling the world with light
Taking a deep morning breath, I smile

Flower.

No comments: