Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Accomplishments

I just made my first international call...ever.
I tried dialing the number given and it didn't work, so I dialed 0, which in my country is the operator (also a first time for me).She asked a few questions. I gave a few answers. I felt like I was thrust back in time, using  the power of the telephone as if this sort of calling had just been invented, like I was one of the first to use it. I can tell you by the voice of this operator that she hasn't had a call like this in a while, and she directs me to an international office.
In a few moments, I am connected at the astounding rate of $8 operator fee (to pay her for her efforts behind the desk all day) and $3.42 a minute.
I just want to record this feeling-speaking across thousands of miles via a phoneline. An electrical phoneline. Speaking to someone that far away-it's like communicating with someone far out in the galaxy.

Yes, I've made international Skype calls with other people-that's nothing compared to this, because this time, I experienced a completely different feeling from ever before. A feeling of awe, of complete wonder, at the simple idea that I was speaking to someone an entire ocean away. 

That alone was enough to make me feel...different.





Note: My mom says that nowadays they of course use satellite to do international phone calls. I think my meaning remains the same?

-Argentia

No comments: