Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Tamaki Suoh+Thoughts on Love

Haruhi's mom...I like Haruhi. 
I love that she goes at her own pace, that she's a bit apathetic. I love when she smiles. When she is so angry that it becomes scary, I love that, too. She is stubborn, but kind, more than any other person I've ever met. She's honest and always trying her best. She seems to be able to look into one person's heart and see what's the most important thing. I love every side of her. I'm still an immature person, but...from now on, I want to be by her side and keep on supporting her. That's why, please mother, look after her, even if in order to pursue her dreams, she were to go somewhere very far from here.
-Tamaki Suoh, Ouran High School Host Club, Chapter 82


When I first read Ouran High School Host Club, I became convinced after finishing that Tamaki was the most loving, spectacular, mind-blowingly attractive guy in the whole manga world. I wished he could come out of that paper and walk into my life because the love he developed was so comprehensive, so captivating, so moving. He accepted Haruhi as the quiet, deadpan, dependable person she was, and she in turn grew to accept his talkativeness, hair-brained ideas, and highly emotional way of relating to others and attaching himself to them with super-sticky glue and lots of squeel-y hugs.
Now, almost two years later, I came across this quote and I realized that the experience of reading Ouran helped to shape some of my expectations for a boyfriend at a time in my life when I felt rather directionless (yeah, I'm getting all Sociology here-wait for it, the Conservative Christian is coming out now! hahaha). However, I have also come to realize that Tamaki's love is not perfect. It is a totally human love. An insufficient love. Tamaki is great, yeah. He's a great character to daydream about becoming real, and if a real one does eventually walk into my life, he's going to have a fighting chance of becoming very special to me. But he'll still be insufficient.
I probably seem pretty hard to satisfy at this moment, don't I? That's because I know of a sufficient love, a love more amazing than all others, a love that blows away all expectations, from those for parents to those for future husbands. God's love. Reading this comic, this secular Japanese comic, I was still brought to think about how Christ is perfect and yet, with all of our imperfections and frustrations, He loves us. And so many of us, in searching for that kind of perfect love in an imperfect person forget the love of the only truly perfect Person. We forget about the most sufficient, forgiving, understanding, deep love EVER.


So...that's my rant for the day. Love Tamaki, people. He's an epic guy. XD


-Argentia

No comments: