Wednesday, October 2, 2013

South Korea Day 6-Incheon, Sinchon, Gangnam

I went to Incheon Airport on this day because after the whole Hongdae episode, my mother was pretty adamant that I purchase a rental cellphone. I went to Incheon Airport to do this because I wanted to return it the day of my departure from Korea rather than wait. However, the sad thing is that I slept in really late on this day. I had also planned to meet my friend Jisu that evening, but I didn't leave my dorm until 1:30 PM, so I didn't get back from Incheon until around 6PM, and then I had to visit my dorm, pick up my friend's birthday present, and go to Sinchon.




 So naturally, while being late I decided to take photos of the subway interior. I hope I didn't creep anyone out. I also took a picture of this baby in a little car stroller contraption in Incheon airport.

 My phone was pink! So cute!
 And it lit up in rainbow colors!

And as you can see, it had my phone number on a sticker stuck to the back, which made life a lot easier!

I arrived at Sinchon in the afternoon, and since Jisu and his buddy (and myself) had already eaten dinner, we went to a cafe to drink coffee in Gangnam. This was the first time I went South of the Hangang, and so I took pictures of it while we were on the train.
I also took a picture of Choi Minho of my favorite group, SHINee, advertising Italian food in the subway station. XD

 This is Gangnam. I sadly didn't take any pictures of the coffee shop. I also apologize for the blurry pictures. When I take night pictures with my tablet, I have to remember to keep the device steady. Otherwise, the pictures will be low-quality, like these.

 Heading across the Han River. I liked this picture because you can see the bridges on the river in the distance, but you can also see the reflections of the people in the train.
Sadly, Jisu and I stayed out way later than my parents had thought we would. Even though I tried, I didn't make it home until midnight, and that was when the curfew was set. I had to be in by 11 PM, no exceptions, for the rest of the week.
However, I'm still happy about the adventure, looking back on it. Jisu, his friend and I talked about many topics which interest us, including Asian politics, the United States, learning a foreign language, and much more.
I'm also happy that I was able to see Gangnam. It's very crowded there at night, but it's much more modern than any of the other places I visited in my time in Seoul. I even saw people busking on the streets. Coffee is also much more expensive there. So I guess PSY means money when in Gangnam Style he says he likes a girl who drinks coffee all of the time.
Jisu also found humor in the 'guess that song' game with me. We were walking by a storefront and they were playing B2ST (read: Beast)'s 'Shadow' outside. He turned to me and says, "so Caroline, you know a lot about K-pop. Who sings this song?"
"Well, it's B2ST's Shadow, right?"
And I was correct. :)



'Shadow' was another song that played a lot while I was in Korea. I'm not even an avid fan of B2ST but now whenever I hear this song I think about that day. :)
This post is a relatively short one because I didn't take a lot of pictures and the real adventure occured the next day. Jisu decided that we should visit Kyobo bookstore Sunday afternoon and I agreed readily, but explained I had to attend church first in the morning. Thankfully, he and his buddy were okay with this, so we parted ways-they going to a bar, and I tried to make sure I didn't sleep in the subway station that night (the last train runs at midnight on weekends in Korea).
Once again, the only thing of note on that ride home was the number of Koreans who had already been drinking and were going home before midnight.

Sunday coming soon!

-Argentia

No comments: