Saturday, December 7, 2013

2013 Collection of Poetry {Coworkers}

These are very short poems I wrote on my phone notebook after work some afternoons this summer and a few evenings this fall. Just some thoughts and feelings. Learning to work with other people, see from their perspectives, and listen to them talk about their own lives, has changed my life drastically. :)

Listed in order of those written most recently to those written most long ago (at the end of the post).

~

Oh, may the rain come back soon
Lovely expressions of lostness
Comfortable, not concerned, not anything, really
Not lost, not warmed, your fingertips no longer electric

Come back, give me the chance for quiet
Let us be drenched in this history
Let us forget the future and the past,
Becoming one in this gray present tense life

~

Permanent feelings of you, who I cannot forget
You with the shining light sticks
You who will never let me escape
Sparkles of wonder in your dying eyes

I return to that time of green rains
The bloodstains, washed out in blue and white
But my heart is elsewhere now
I can forget you, but I can't forget my dream

~

My red dress, white shirt
Dotted yellow sunflowers
Your reluctant eyes, don't leave me now
Your soft embrace, things to be missed

~

People coming and going
Like a gentle wind
Like a quiet bell toll, the end
My feelings of permanence dwindle

I wander through the memories
Set of dreams in my hands
A cure for my hurting heart
The ache in my soul for this sad place

Strike up some empathy in us
Because my eyes are dry again,
This strong feeling of absence
Separates me from you again

~

Pensive cleaning of the soul
Dedication shows your true nature
Opportunities you've missed,
Don't skip off your tongue but dance in your eyes

~

Don't choose the right words, don't ask
Missing you will not be mandatory
But it will happen, dearest one
Our hellos and goodbyes exchanged, we part again

~

They put you in red.
It doesn't do me any good; it never will
If contrasting colors are good for the eyes
Then which designer created your scheme?

Skin-deep, clothed in gradient darks that discretely hide
Your complex soul and forgotten life

We don't choose when stars fall
In the same way, we can't predict when they fly

~

Giant butterflies and the voice
Cats and vanilla smoking pipes, summer nights
I hold in my hands whisps of the warm air
Who is to say I dislike my empty palms?

Your expressive eyes of clear green
Like the May rains, they sparkle with life
If chocolate ice cream cones became human,
they would be sweet and rich with wisdom

I wonder how we, in this way, came to be here together?

No comments: