Thursday, May 12, 2016

Vagabond

I stargazed on the Lawn
When I was young and foolish
and dreaming of other worlds
traced the paths of airships in the dark

One early spring night we
headed home under those stars
on the uneven brick sidewalk, and I
saw the world from your eyes

My name is Caroline
and this was my youth
this was my first love
this city, these Grounds

You are a vagabond
your home is not here nor there
you go flying to other worlds
and you say you're unimpressed

You were the vagabond
foolish and young, this
city was your midnight haunts
your drunken words going....on-and-on....

Oh, oh Vagabond,
cease your miserable lingering
this is Charlottesville
this was our only world

Oh, oh Vagabond!
those starlit spring nights were ours-
I am Caroline, and you've
haunted her youth far too long now. 

No comments: