Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Addict Pt. 2

Have you looked in a mirror lately?
you've been addictive since
fresh fifteen,
cool eyed and quiet mouthed,
soaking my words in
as if you weren't
flesh and bone,
but a fog on the ocean
wrapping every thought
in chill grayness,
even my ridiculous
strawberry milk words
don't scare your soul,
yes,
you've been addictive since
this afternoon,
skin on fire eighty-five
degrees Fahrenheit,
gasping for air like
resurfacing from the depths,
like life in full color,
like the tender
rawness of hearts
with no assumptions,
and now I know
trust is just 
holding hands at
ice rinks, and brushing fingertips
on summer walks, and
Tchaikovsky with my
eyes closed,
addiction--
how much you drink
on Sunday nights 
grasping blindly,
crawling across the floor
to know who you are
to be reminded
of yourself,
what can I do anymore,
they figured out how much 
I want your heart,
but that wanting is just
a thief in the night
stealing the last light
left in your body,
yes, I admit 
I couldn't stop taking it,
I've been addicted since
the beginning of our time
which has now come, quietly,
to its own end. 

No comments: