Saturday, November 12, 2011

-Flickering Electric Lights-


I whisper under my breath, minutes ticking by
The insanity burning behind those eyes
The voice in my ear and the way that people seem to try
To make everything make sense

It won't, but we want it to, so we're trying
We keep drifting from place to place
The time isn't on our side, it seems to be flying
But we haven't paid it any heed

There's some idiot singing Ke$ha on camera
I hate her songs but I'm listening
You're proposing some strange, new idea
I don't know about it but I nod

Yes, sure, whatever...it's always like this, isn't it?
I don't know what to say or do
People are always taking their time like this
Is it obvious that I don't want to hear?

An old song I used to listen to is playing in my head
Event's turn out badly before they happen
And I wonder if they'll just stay like that, but instead
You're saying things are going to change

Like always, I tend to debate truth and lie beyond what is healthy
The idiot stopped singing at last, but I press replay
There's an element of masochism in all of us, but this time it's not getting me
I can't let you get a hold of me, it's just not possible

There's a dragon blowing smoke in the back of my mind
An oriental icon, powerful and mysterious
And you don't care, which doesn't surprise me, people are blind
And I'm the one who's most deceived anyway

A smile's becoming more and more broken every time I see it
I can't think of what you say in this moment
Do you encourage, or do you let the pain run as it sees fit?
It's really just the two of us, gambling it away

So somewhat wasted, the time is over like it began
And I realize that I'm staring at a mess
A quiet thought enters my mind, but yet again
I swat it away before it becomes too much for me

Let me run away somewhere far off, 
and then there won't be any more problems.

3 comments:

Hannah Leigh said...

beautiful, but... are you feeling depressed? :S Explain, if you would, to someone who wonders why...

Argentia Krystofel said...

It's a complicated poem. XD It's about a conversation I had on the phone, and about staying up really late at night, and a guy singing, and it's really quite a confusing poem.
I wasn't particularly depressed...maybe just a little, but it's that sort-of thoughtful mood that tends to come and then go. It's gone now...but I'm glad I wrote the poem at the time. ^.^

Hannah Leigh said...

Me too; it's pretty. You know that comment you left on my blog about the poem and the line about ink? Hmhm - that made me chuckle - see? I can do it, too, you older person all the way over there! *grin* =D =D =D