Saturday, December 17, 2011

Short Story (Character Study)


Been terribly obsessed with writing these little short stories lately to study different character types. I've already got one half-written about the mysterious character K. He's really not all that mysterious, lol. 
 The male character's hobby is cars. Fast cars. Driving fast cars fast. >.<
 It's so choppy, but he's a choppy sort-of guy, so... :P
 The female character was used as a 'medium' so to speak. She's just there for her opinions on the personality of the driver is the real focus here. 


She grabbed the seat tightly. As expected, he drove fast. She kept glancing quickly at the speedometer and then at the cars around, making sure he wasn't about to hit someone. Taking a few deep breaths, she tried to pay attention to his incessant chatter.
“He's probably at his studio. I'd say he's in the middle of something, though I can't say what that might be, and he probably doesn't want to talk. Also, he might not want me to tell you this, so don't mention it, but he's on a lower than usual dosage of his anxiolytic, so he might be more hyper and a tad irritable, though there's normally no noticeable outward change in him.”
She went through that answer a couple of times, wondering if this fast-paced, intense risk taker even noticed enough of the deep-thinking, reclusive interior designer to know what his mood really was.
They veered to the right suddenly, him biting his lip, yet grinning as he maneuvered traffic.
“As I was saying, stupid drivers, there's probably some reason he's not been answering his phone for the past two days. If he got dumped by his girlfriend I'll be really surprised, though it might be possible...you sure you wanna stop by?”
She took a deep breath, “Well, if I don't die getting there.... How do you feel about it?”
“Me? I don't care what mood he's in. He's himself.” He flashed her a smile, and she returned it weakly, deciding that staring at her hands was the only way to keep from telling him how he was supposed to drive a car, and she knew that wasn't something he would take lightly.
His ringed fingers caught the light, glittering as the gripped the steering wheel tightly.
“You should really try getting to know people here in LA,” he announced, “other than us. We're K's friends, and as you noticed, he's pretty weird. It takes one to know one, sooooo...” He shrugged, “you might be dealing with a few that should be admitted,” He paused, “I can get out of hand sometimes, too, you know.” He winked, his dark eyes sparkling with mischief.
She shrugged, giving him an incredulous glance.
“I doubt you can be troublesome enough that you'll bother me. Besides, I've only been here for a week and I'm not going to university here, so it's a little hard to make any acquaintances anywhere other than K's studio and my part time job at the restaurant down the street. Since K only has two other employees, that leaves me a little lost there, and at my job, well, there's only a few people who don't act super-snobby with me, so...”
“Have you thought about going to a few parties? Surely you've been invited to some.”
“Not a party person...”
“Blind dates are easy ways to meet people, too...”
She shot him a doubtful look. He grinned, lifting his fingers on the wheel as he shrugged, rings glaring in the sunlight, “I told you I was hard to handle, don't look at me like that.”
At that she couldn't help but let a chuckle escape her lips.


 And that's all! I'm starting to wish my one story character, Riagan, was just a tad more like this guy. He's very easy to write with his impulsive nature, wherein Riagan is not. Riagan's impulsiveness just hasn't worked.
 Oh, well, I guess it's not too late to work with the character and make peace with him. We've been at war since about November 5th, hahahaha.


Fighting with fictional characters,
 -Argentia

No comments: