Monday, June 18, 2012

No Man...



He takes long strides, quick steps through the bright city
But he cannot escape his pursuers
In one sweeping motion, they come upon him as a cloud
They overtake him in a moment

His dark eyes scan the horizon; tired
Steeped in apathy, he stares blankly
Like he doesn't even care to fight it

He seeks to simply exist and be done

He's disgusted with being treated like an object
To be possessed by one lucky person
His opinions can't be expressed, his thoughts are blocked
By the surging crowd and the screaming voices

Yes, they close in quickly, clinging to his clothing
Seeking to reach in and rip out his heart
And destroy all just for the purpose of simply knowing
Following his every move like cats after their prey

Yes, he chose this for himself
He's made himself known to the world
But he has every right as a human being
To disclose what he wishes, and hide what he must

This man was so foreign to me then, but now
As I watch him carefully
He seems kind and reasonable, beautiful, yet
Trapped in fear and anxiety

Questions run through my mind
Why make this choice?
Why live this life?
But he will never give me an answer

How does this man, or any man
Live like this?
Fending off the attackers with whatever means
To preserve what little dignity is left?

It hurts me to watch this happen
Even though I am normally so composed
I feel anger and frustration and sadness
At the unjust behavior and the pain...

May I write this poem about you?
I think about you late at night
Can my voice be heard by those parasites
Killers who dig deep to destroy a person...
Even though this still continues
You'll be alright, won't you?


-Argentia



No comments: