Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Day 15-A Person You Admire

*winces* Sorry about forgetting yesterday. I was watching drama. XD Indeed, I have just now come up with yet *another* thing I can do for my blog-but thankfully it will only be a monthly thing to keep this place alive during school, hahaha.


As for someone I admire-I admire bilingual people who are intelligent and work hard.


 That can only be either the TTMIK crew or The Korean at Ask a Korean!, right?


 So, first of all for a person I admire I'll give a link to The Korean's English Acquisition post.
 http://askakorean.blogspot.com/2010/01/koreans-english-acquisition-and-best.html

This guy is talented to be able to come here at that age and learn English as fluently as he has. Check out the audio clip link he gives to an interview he did.
 His language acquisition is inspiring and makes a person like myself think 'Oh, hey, maybe I actually can become fluent in Korean; if a Korean can become fluent in English!' (though I fear the man is actually quite a genius, even if he does downplay it).

 I don't agree with his political leanings nor the language he on occasion uses, but he gives some helpful insights about South Korea (especially in the area of politics) that are incredibly valuable to someone like myself. Here is the blog url-http://askakorean.blogspot.com/



 Since we are on the topic of acquiring foreign language, this is my most recent Korean-learning resource-
 http://www.talktomeinkorean.com/

These people KNOW how to teach a language. I've been using the Byki software for about six months now to build vocabulary, but my conversational Korean skills are lacking. I've attributed this to the fact that I have absolutely no idea WHAT I'm learning. I can learn 'how are you?', but I just memorize it and go on...the problem is that 1. I can't use it and 2. I forget it quickly. So far with TTMIK the lessons are sticking because of how comprehensive they are. I hope my brain can stay engaged and I can learn this way. >.<

 My next language problem is Spanish classes at community college this fall. I'm so excited I could probably burst because
 1.) Finally, I think I can learn a romance language,
 2.) New language for the win! I can communicate with that may more people!
 3.) There are so many Spanish speaking people in this area that it doesn't take as much work to find someone to practice with (unlike Korean, which is the most impossible language when it comes to finding and actually meeting speakers that live here...though you can couple 'typical Korean personality' with the 'meeting strangers' part...)
but I'm also a little worried. I fear that the Spanish coupled with the meager amount of Japanese I'll be doing in karate will begin to confuse me. I doubt it'll be a big issue but sometimes I feel...wary. -_-

My excitement over having contact with Spanish-speaking people outweighs my fear of learning a romance language as a whole, though, so this is going to be fun! Not to mention, if I like it, I definitely want to attempt fluency in Spanish at some point. Doubt a college class will bring it about, but hey, it's a start.

-Argentia

No comments: