Saturday, September 22, 2012

He's Leaving...

Black hair framing a gentle face, skin kissed by sun
Black eyes that glitter with childish whims
He gives me a bright grin, showing crooked teeth
And I find I must smile softly back at him

I met him on the warm streets in the evening
Beneath the glorious moon, in front of that magical place
His white button-down untucked, his black slacks wrinkled
A winning smile plastered on his dreamy young face

In that single moment, I knew there was nothing to be done
I couldn't tell him to leave or to stay
His suitcase hung over his shoulder as he walked alone
The man made his way into my heart that day

Tonight, my heart feels like it will shatter, each piece a memory
The warm pavement, afternoon ice cream, evening walks
Each magical moment of freedom, each whisper of romance he brought me
All of them will dissapear with his absence

He takes my hand and leads me out onto the still, quiet beach
'Let's take a walk?' he entreats with puppy-eyes
'I can't, it's cold,' and without a word across my shoulders his arms reach
His warmth is like the fiery sun; boldly passionate, gently reassuring

My footsteps in the cold sand, he hums a sweetly sad tune under his breath
I inch a little closer to him and catch the faint thumping of his heart
As the waves beat against the shore in time, a choppy rhythm like our thoughts
I clutch the slightly weathered, long fingers of his brown hand tighter

'Ouch, you're squeezing', but I don't care, and the thoughts of his departure cloud my good judgement
He continues to ignore my silence, chatting about the sea, the skittering creatures, the winds
The stars, brighter than any night yet, are a parade of celestial wonders, marching to God's alignment 
My lonesome heart replays the song of life in it's fullest bloom

There he stops, his feet planted in the soft sand, and he sighs, like he's afraid of it himself
He takes his arm from my shoulders and bows his head, black, windswept hair
'I've got to go now,' he explains in his painfully quiet voice, barely above a whisper 
I try my hardest to look at him and nod, but I feel angry and upset inside

'For how long?' I ask, but before I receive an answer, his lips touch mine
A brief peck of a kiss, rushing pulse, scattered emotions, overwhelmed in the sensation
Summer lets my hand slip from his
And turns away.

-Argentia Krystofel (9-21-12)







2 comments:

Timeless Trinkets said...

Aww, it's so sad. This summer was awesome; too bad he had to go, but he'll be back next year.

Argentia Krystofel said...

Thank you, Mom. I'm starting to feel a little better about fall as a whole. Summer will come back around, like always.
As it is, at least I now get an excuse to drink my favorite teas all the time and wear fall clothes. ^^