Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Outer Banks-A creative, quiet haven.

The Outer Banks of North Carolina is where my family and I have been vacationing for three years now. We've stayed in the same house each year, swam in the same ocean, visited the same Lutheran church, and eaten the same poptarts for breakfast.
 I've lived, breathed and soaked myself in the creativity that comes when you sleep with your window facing the distant ocean; the waves and the crickets in your ears all night long.
 The sun comes up over the ocean every morning in brilliant red and orange. On the first Sunday morning, it makes you feel like screaming 'I'm alive, and I'm here, thank You!' at the top of your lungs to the entire town from the high crow's nest porch.
 Two of my novels have their roots in this vacation experience. The Lost Neried, my first NaNo work was inspired by this place. My second NaNo work got it's universe and politics from a short story I started while I was staying here. Which, come to mention, I never finished...
 My most recent novel, working title 'What Goes Up' really doesn't have anything to do with this beach. It's inspired partly by my summer spent in Fairfax County and New York City, my winters spent in Orlando, Florida, several years ago, and partly by my obsession with Korean indie, cross country road trips, and artsy abstract guy meets down-to-earth girl plots. But somehow, the beach here is still giving me lots of inspiration...maybe even for a few new characters somewhere.


Look what I can do now that I couldn't do last year. ^^

Though I'm enjoying it here, I still have to do school because of college. This is my 'why me, what the heck? Lillian, leave me alone, and is this even history?' face.



My two new treasures, both courtesy of Mom. Hanbok wearing bear cell phone charm and a 1993 used book edition of a Korean handbook/encyclopedia. It's awesome; it talks about everything from geography, to culture, to economics in Korea. *sigh* Now, if only I had the time to read it. XD
From the crow's nest, it feels like you can see everything everywhere. I'll have to get a few better pictures soon. Over all the trees, you see little housetops peaking out, like this one. Really beautiful and thought provoking place to hang out.

More posts to come later this week. Until then. ^^

-Argentia (and yes, I will be finishing the thirty day challenge...in thirty years. -_-)

No comments: