Monday, June 27, 2011

Thoughts on Peter Pan

To describe myself right now...


I mean...when this stuff happens...I have my Tamaki moments more frequently. I can see all the atomic bombs destroying cities and the sun going dark...

Okay, so maybe not. =P

I have a cold. It's not a bad cold, but being sick in summertime is never fun. Then, I have...the issue-people pursuing me again.
 Right now, I'm watching Peter Pan to distract myself.
 Peter never stops laughing. Even after almost dying, he simply returns back to his care-free self in a matter of moments. I must admit I've never really met anyone like that, but he definitely does portray the ideal boy in a stretched and skewed sense.
 Caught up in the fight, he forgets that Tigerlilly's life is in danger.
 He finds the mermaids teasing of Wendy funny.
 And he's oblivious to the fact that the way he interacts with Wendy, Tigerlilly and Tinker Bell will change how each of them thinks of him.
 He plays all the time. It's all a big game to him, leaving the females his age frustrated at his inability to take responsibility for his actions and his desire to just have fun.


What I've never understood is why people just can't let boys be boys. Sure, Peter gets on my nerves to no end at certain points in the movie. But he's only a 10-12 year old boy, for gosh sakes! A little boy isn't aware of things like that.
 Only after a boy matures into a man should a girl be expecting him to be acting like one. And that can happen at any time, and can take nearly ten years. (Shout out to you dudes-You might be 18 but you're probably far from grown-up. I don't say this because I have been through the experience [I am fifteen, no where near grown-up] but because I have a friend who HAS. Her opinion-you aren't grown up yet. Rather, the experiences and responsibilities thrust upon you after 18 turn you into a grownup. True wisdom!!!) Peter just isn't grown up yet (duh).
But Peter has his pride 'No one calls Pan a coward!' 'No! I gave my word.' and he gets very frightened when Tinkerbell almost dies 'You're the more important to me than the whole world!!!'. He's not oblivious to people and feelings...just slow.

In Peter Pan 2, the directors made him into a slightly more grownup boy; a bit more sensitive and not so carefree.

In the first movie, he manages to compromise with Wendy, in a way. She comes to see why he acts the way he does, while he redeems himself with a little chivalry and that slight glimpse of the man he could become one day.
 In the second, Peter is 'older', and seems to make Jane conform more to him than he to her. I think that worked out better because he wasn't as boyish in that film. Rather, Jane was far too serious. In the second film, Jane is all ready to grow up, and Peter teaches her to be more childish.


Once again, I rant while watching a movie. >.< There's something about the shadow of the impish Peter, his feathered cap and pointed shoes outlined on a wall in the moon/candlelight is so exciting. The music plays in the background-Dum de DUM! and you know it's Peter Pan.

-Argentia Krystofel

No comments: