Friday, July 13, 2012

A Favorite Movie

Day 2 of the 30 Day Challenge.

Well, I said this would be easy. It's sort-of hard; I like so MANY movies~!

But I think I have to say most of my favorite movies are Studio Ghibli movies. Howl's Moving Castle, Whisper of the Heart, and Totoro, are some of the cutest movies ever! ^^

The Girl who Leapt Through Time has similar artwork, and I believe Hayao Miyazaki, who directed the other movies, was on the storyboard team and wrote this movie. But I can't remember, so don't quote me. :P


Here are trailers...

My Neighbor Totoro-A sweet, plot-less fairy tale that I love. ^^

Whisper of the Heart...



Then last but not least, Howl's Moving Castle and The Girl who Leapt through Time.



Hope someone who reads my blog sees these trailers and decides to try one of the movies; all of them are available english dubbed through Netflix. I really wish I could have a movie night with friends over to watch one of these movies, because they are spectacular, but sadly, most of my acquaintences at church are not the Japanese animation type. Still. I truly believe people that dislike these movies simply because of the animation are missing out an experience unmatched by others. The artwork of these movies is beautiful, the subtle Japanese culture (in all but Howl's Moving Castle, which is in a European setting) is fascinating, and together these two elements give it a nearly ethereal, foreign, mysterious appeal.
 I think it was largely due to three of these movies that I became interested in living in East Asia. I think, though fantasy, the movies set in Japan manage to capture an essence of that country that words can't describe. The bustling crowds, the bus stops, the summer bugs whirring and chirping in the trees, the days spent walking home from school, the laundry hanging from the balcony of the apartment...all of those little things, incorporated so well. I love it. ^^

-Argentia

No comments: